OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Ctrl-Shift-Eject ( = Sleep Display)
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Ctrl-Shift-Eject ( = Sleep Display) Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 pm  •   #3925
andrabr

On an Apple Keyboard pressing Ctrl-Shift-Eject puts the displays (not the Mac) to sleep.

Sweet! But I would love to assign this to a single key.

Yet assigning this combination to any key (on the same keyboard or on another device) via CM does not work - I just get the EJECT function.

I have tried both Single Key and Keystroke blocks with all the right (and wrong, just in case) settings.

If it is a bug, it needs fixing. If it is a feature (I've heard that Apple hanles Eject button differently from others) then it probably needs to be reflected in the Single Key block (Ctrl, Shift, and Opt greyed out or something).

A>
Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 pm  •   #3926
Ken
Developer

That's interesting. Using the Keyboard Viewer, its easy to see that CM is creating the correct key combination. However, as you stated, it doesn't work from ControllerMate's virtual keyboard.

My first guess is that there is some "special handling" of the eject key to decide when to turn the display off -- and that this special handling ignores virtual keyboards. I don't think this is a CM bug per se, but it would be nice if it worked as expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:40 am  •   #3927
xltrader100

Because the Eject key is right above the Delete key on the extended keyboard, Apple put in a 1/4 second delay on Eject because people were hitting it by mistake. Here's a utility that claims to remove the delay. (I haven't tried it).
http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/keyremap4macbook/noejectdelay.html
Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:30 pm  •   #3928
andrabr

[quote="xltrader100"]Because the Eject key is right above the Delete key on the extended keyboard, Apple put in a 1/4 second delay on Eject because people were hitting it by mistake. Here's a utility that claims to remove the delay. (I haven't tried it).
http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/keyremap4macbook/noejectdelay.html[/quote]

Fascinating! I thought it was just my drive taking its sweet time. Thanks for the tip!

Ctrl-Shift-Eject works instantly, so Apple clearly is doing something special there.

It's fun to be Ken! Smile
Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 pm  •   #3931
Ken
Developer

The delay for the Eject function is handled in the standard HID driver. The button itself is recognized immediately. ControllerMate's building block will respond to even a short tap of the Eject key.

Another curiosity is the Caps Lock key on the newer Aluminum keyboards. Tapping it very quickly will not turn on CapsLock -- you have to hold it for a moment. Turning it off works instantly though. ControllerMate's building block will also respond to a short tap of the CapsLock key as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sat May 22, 2010 7:19 am  •   #5293
fellowweb

Hi everyone,

I am not sure whether I understood all responses correctly. Have you come up with a solution?

I would like to assign Ctrl+Shift+Eject to one key of my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. I've tried to do so with the building blocks "Single Key" or "Keystrokes" but I didn't succeed.

Currently, I've assigned the little helper application SleepDisplay (MacUpdate) to this key. However, as the developer's site is not reachable anymore, I'd like to replace it sooner or later.

An AppleScript I found on macosxhints seems to be pretty old. So I doubt it still works with 10.6.

I'd highly appreciate your help!
Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 pm  •   #5309
fellowweb

There is one strange observation somehow related to F12 being the replacement for the lacking dedicated Eject key on my standard PC keybaord:

If I push Ctrl+Shift+F12, the display isn't switched off. However, if I push Ctrl+Cmd+Opt+F12, the Mac mini accepts the key combination and initiates the shut down.

Could this be related to my unsuccesful try to map Ctrl+Shift+Eject to a specific key with ControllerMate?

(I did map the Eject key from the virtual keyboard. I didn't press the F12 key.)

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Fri May 28, 2010 12:16 am  •   #5318
Ken
Developer

I don't think the F12 key is a direct replacement for the Eject key. The Eject and shutdown functions go back at least to the PowerBook G4 which didn't have a dedicated Eject key. I don't remember the Shutdown or Display Sleep features working from the F12 key back then though.
Fri May 28, 2010 5:07 am  •   #5324
fellowweb

Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

If I understand it correctly, OS X tries to map Eject to a holding F12 for a couple of milliseconds if one uses a keyboard without an Eject key. However, I didn't use F12 for the keyboard mapping but the Eject key in the Keystrokes Palette.

I've set it up the key mapping like this:

This is the Single Key building block's configuration:

And this is the Eject key I dragged over from the Keystrokes Palette:

Does this make sense?
Re: Ctrl-Shift-Eject ( = Sleep Display) Fri May 28, 2010 8:00 am  •   #5336
xltrader100

andrabr wrote:
On an Apple Keyboard pressing Ctrl-Shift-Eject puts the displays (not the Mac) to sleep.

Sweet! But I would love to assign this to a single key.

I use the Exposť Prefs to assign a Hot Corner to "Put Display to Sleep". Works great.
Fri May 28, 2010 8:13 am  •   #5337
fellowweb

@xltrader100:
Thank you for the remark. I had assigned this function to one of my corners. However, I didn't really like it.

The way it currently works by mapping Sleep Display to a specific key is okay. I just wanted to know whether there's a way to assign this keyboard combination to one key by using ControllerMate. - I am not a ControllerMate expert yet so I wasn't sure if my failure results from my lack of understanding or from ControllerMate.

Do you succeed in mapping Ctrl+Shift+Eject to a single key in ControllerMate?
Fri May 28, 2010 8:22 am  •   #5338
fellowweb

PS: For testing, I've tried to assign Cmd+Opt+Eject (and, alternatively, Cmd+Opt+F12 with the click-and-hold option) to a key via ControllerMate. This is the shortcut for putting the make into sleep mode. However, it did not work either.
Sat May 29, 2010 12:35 am  •   #5341
Ken
Developer

Mac OS X doesn't seem to listen to Control-Shift-Eject commands from virtual keyboards (such as ControllerMate's) ... don't know why.

I like the Expose work-around, it works well if a corner is not used for anything else. With the lower-left corner of the screen set to turn off the displays, I used this setup:

Sat May 29, 2010 1:49 am  •   #5342
fellowweb

Ken,

Great! Thank you very much for taking the time!
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 pm  •   #14043
Video Beagle

Super necro-threading, but just in case anyone is looking for this info in 2019, from my thread in another section.

"I've done so using an applescript action, with the script in the building block, "do shell script "pmset displaysleepnow" "

IT works fine, but I don't know if that's the best way to do the shell command or not, which is what I'm asking in my other post Smile
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Jump to: